Sunday, February 20, 2011

2010 Horizon Report - Technology to Watch

Per the Horizon report, Mobile computing is truly a technology that has finally come to the forefront.  This is particularly the case with Smart Phones.  With the advent of iPhone and Android API's being openly distributed to the developer community, we will surely see the applications that we have only dreamed of. *smiles* I fully agree that this is a technology to watch.  I can already see it being used for commercial purchases and transactions.  Why carry a credit card when you have your phone. *grins*  Why look for a hot-spot when you have your phone. *cheers* I have been watching this trend for over 10 years and for the first time, I can actually do video calls. *cheers*  Also for the very first time, I am actually able to develop phone apps and I plan to use this skill in support of my doctoral research.

Mobile commerce is still not where it needs to be in the US.  This technology is impacted by legal issues as it will require cellular carriers to reach agreement with financial institutions on who really owns mobile commerce.  Just as we transfer money to our debit cards we will one day be able to transfer money to our mobile bank accounts.  The problem is that the banks, credit card companies and cellular carriers all want to control the $$$. As a consumer it does not really matter as long as I can buy the loaf of bread*grins*. Until then I dare not lose my debit card.*chuckles*

*waves*

Jim Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment